8.25.2006

VW Rabbit

I test drove this car recently. Fun to drive, very "around-town" drivable, but it has the oomph when you need it. It has 155hp and 170lb-ft of torque. My 240SX has 155hp and 160lb-ft of torque, so the torque feel is definitely there and I enjoy it.
It is not quite as tight on the twisties as the 240, but the Rabbit has a much higher CoG. The steering is electro-mechanical, which I thought would be horrible, but it is nice and loose for low speed and tightens up as you speed up. It doesn't get sloppy at all and the failsafe feels like "a power steering pump failure."
The H-pattern is close, but smooth shifting. The clutch engages very high, but has a nice feel; definitely not tough to learn to drive on.
All the amenities are there, 6 airbags, CD changer, alloy wheels, power seats (rear half), and a very organized gauge cluster.
All in all, I think I will have to go after this car, it starts at $14,990, which is a nice price for something with those features. It's lively and sporty and utilitarian all at the same time.
Don't forget to watch the commercials!!
Rabbit!
-Jeff

No comments: